Application guideline and FAQ
- Arrival date: 1 Dec 2017, the participant should not arrive later than 3 Dec 2017
- Welcome party and presentation: 4 Dec 2017 (both international and Icelandic artists)
- Tour visits will be arranged in the 2nd week (5-15 Dec 2017). It is included Herring Era Museum,
Natural History Museum, artspace(s) around towns, the music school and the junior college of the town.
- Christmas party on 26 Dec 2017
- Submitting the festival program(s) in the first week of January 2017
- Skammdegi Festival from 27 January to 4 February 2017
- Check out date: 7 February 2017
- Application fee: 15 euro (non-refundable), pay when you submit your application.
- The residency fee is depends on what accommodation & working space you need. Details here.
- Payment term & Cancellation policy can be found here.
- Cleaning deposit 10,000kr should be paid on arrival. It is refundable when the apartment is checked in good condition as it was.
- Selected artists need to take care the travelling fee, living cost, art materials and insurance by themselves.
- Any creative practitioners (individual or groups)
- who would like to take the challenge/experience a dark winter
- Who are eager to collaborate/exchange with local and/or international creative practitioners
- Who would like to be inspired by the nature.
- Your projects must have a strong site specify concept and/or with interactive elements with locals and/or environment. And do not take this too literally, feel free to propose the unexpected, and be bold!
- Your working habbit
- State your expectation from Skammdegi Festival as solid as possible. That helps us for arranging the festival venue(s) and facilities.
- The first payment as the deposit should be paid 50% of total residency fee by early August for registration of the program.
The Deposit is non-refundable.
- Other half should be settled before arrival.
- Cancellation of the registration must be done before August 2017.
- The cancellation notice made less than 1 month before arrival, the artist still need to pay the rest of residency fee, unless it is caused by serious illness, death, and death of direct relative.
Only long period stay can let participants totally get into an extraordinary nature and culture, in order to have a big change in both physical and mental ways, evaluation of the value of art and life.
So, we set the residency period in 10 weeks, but we also consider case by case for extending to 3 months, either in November or in February. On the other hand, one month or less than one month can only be considered as a visiting artists and will be reviewed case by case. Extra joining fee to the festival might be required.
It’s good to arrange a small group for short trip (max. 2 days) travelling around north Iceland.
However, we don’t suggest you take a long holiday (more than 1 week) based on the following reasons:
1) the weather normally is not stable in winter. 1 week somehow could become 10 days;
2) long absent would cause the disturbing of your creative spirit and our team spirit;
3) less time for creation, so that you have to press yourself work faster or you have to ask other people help you to work faster
- Lack of sunlight would make the body lack of Vitamin E. It makes the body less strengthen or power, just want to lay down and do nothing, almost close to “depression”. It quite affects ladies and artists come from sunshine & Asian countries. If you cannot sleep well or feel sad without any reasons, that might be the symptoms.
Solution: Take Icelandic fish liver oil will help, better use the “oil”. Take 2 spoons in the morning.
- Weather will also be a problem. Cold and icy on the road could stop the people for outside activities.
1. a pair of good shoes and a pull-over suit will help you to over come this difficulty. A pair of shoes’ adopter with spikes also help.
2. There is a warm water swimming pool in the town with 2 hot tubes in different temperature. After 15-30 mins soak, the body can be warm whole night.
- Lonely: Away from home in a cold and dark remote strange town definitely can make people feeling lonely.
1. The people in the town are very friendly, but they are not aggressive. Most of people are willing to help you if you ask them. Just don’t be shy to say “hello” to the people in the street.
2. Make friends with follow artists. We will have a welcome party that let artists know each others. Besides, Café Klara will be the gathering place during Skammdegi. It will be open in certain time in week days afternoon.
3. However, sometimes, loneliness is what you are looking for…. Accept it and put it in your artworks.
Number of participant artists:
10-12 International artists
5-8 Icelandic artists
Skammdegi Festival receives no public funding so it is unable to subsidize individual artists, however we will provide all necessary confirmations to facilitate individual artists funding requests to their home governments/institutions.
Some funding for mobility highlight here.
More international grants information here.
Artist will be living in a room of a fully furnished apartment. Artist may need to share the house with other artists according to the application. The apartment must be left in the same condition it was when arrived. Artist ensures that the apartment has thoroughly been cleaned prior to the departure. More cleaning instructions and manners will be found in the apartment. Please note that the festival team is too small that has no possibilities to clean the apartment for the artists.
It is artist’s responsibility to operate all equipment and furniture in a safe manner. Harming any of the festival housing or the landlord’s property a refund will be required.
- All accommodations provide bed sheets, towels, kitchen tools/equipment, some small tools etc. Normally, wasted materials are not provided, but you can find some of them (color, turpentine, etc.) left by previous artists in store room of Listhus 10 as well.
- We suggest you prepare the tools list and send us, see if they are available or they are easily found in the shops of the towns. Some useful links for you:
art supplier, printing & hardware store in Akureyri: Húsasmiðjan& BYKO.
- We advise you to bring your own laptop.
- Wifi-connection availability in all apartments. The speed is good enough for skype and see movie online in general. Only HD-online streaming is not allowed.
Most of the accommodation are shared facilities. The essentail house rules are:
1) clean all the disk and cookwares after cooking;
2) clean and dry the shower place & toilet after used the bathroom;
3) keep the common place as tidy & clean as possible
We will have a schedule to you for sharing the cleaning duty.
It is artist’s responsibility to immediately report of any incident or allegation of harassment of any other people, who have the responsibility of investigating and resolving complaints of it.
Anyone who has or uses illegal drugs at Listhus and during the stay will be asked to leave the program immediately. Smoking is not permitted inside the apartments or the building. Listhus/Skammdegi organizer reserves the right to terminate a residency if there is an indication that the artist’s behaviour during the residency period jeopardizes our collaborations with affiliate organizations and our community relations.
We will promote Skammdegi Festival and related activities through our web pages, facebook or newspapers and magazine and use Skammdegi logo in press releases and posters. This is for the benefit of the artists and Skammdegi festival supporters. Artist agrees to submit materials about oneself and of the work for the promotion of the festival and residency to let the public know about the artists working here. Texts in English are written by artists themselves and sent out by the festival thru a comprehensive mailing list. Artists are expected to negotiate about the form of a text with the festival personnel. Some texts, like posters needs to be in Icelandic and translated by native Icelandic speakers.
For the publicity, we use Skammdeg Facebook page and its event pages and Skammdegi web pages or artists own Facebook and web pages.
Listhus has the right to record and publish the artwork/music which has been produced for the events or performance during the residency or other information material received from the artist in any of the media, including printed matter, social media and surroundings web, for purposes of education or publicity without any financial compensation. Listhus has also the right to grant permission for other interested partners to record and publish these works in any of the media for purposes of education or publicity.
The artist is obligated to have a legal right and necessary licenses to use and present material from third parties.
Listhus reserves the right to cancel the contract for financial or similar reasons by notifying the artist in writing 3 months in advance. In the case of a cancellation, Listhus will not be obligated to pay compensation to the artist.